Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mmmm, Meatloaf!

We're sort of foodies 'round here. It's a bi-product of living in Portland. I definitely didn't do it on purpose. Once, in conversation, I admitted to my father that I think I'm a bit of a food snob and he replied with a sarcastic, 'oh really?'

In this respect, I'm also very spoiled when it comes to meat. My father, one John Compton is a retired teacher, school bus driver and quasi-retired farmer. Up until last year he had a marginal 'heard' of sheep. After several lambs perished in the unusually cold January nights, he decided that perhaps he was getting too old to deal with baby lambs.

Nic and I went down to help dock the lambs last year. Here's one of my favorite shots from that afternoon.
Whenever Nic and I go down to Elkton, we usually come back to P-town with some meat from the freezer. Some of it is very, very old, and some of it is freshly frozen. That being said, there's a possibility- a good one- like 1 in 30 that we ate part of the lamb pictured above in our meatloaf the other night. If that isn't spoiled, I don't know what is.

What's in the bowl above eventually became Lamb Loaf with Cumin, Coriander and and Fennel, adapted from The Splendid Table website. The adaptation mostly consisted of using ground beef instead of ground veal that the recipe called for.

Let me tell you- this meatloaf was all kinds of tasty, it didn't even need ketchup! I hadn't had a good meat loaf for at least 6 years (I know, right?!). I'll definitely be making them on a more regular basis.

No comments: