Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kathleen's Salad

I'm almost to the point where I can resume my previous kitchen habits. It's been over a month now since I've cooked consistently. Between house-sitting, moving, painting, acquiring furniture, working and acquainting oneself to a new community, other personal endeavors can, and have suffered. We DO have a couch now, and I did hang some art on the walls on Friday- which made it feel just that much more like home.

I'm in the middle of painting walls at the moment. Whoever has the job of naming paint colors has my dream job. Our apartment will now include walls that are a nice shade of 'harmonic tan' and 'crocodile'. Here's a view of the front door (which is actually at the back of the house... leading down to the basement).
I did take a few minutes to wash as much paint off of my hands as possible to compose a salad that I credit to my dear friend Kathleen- who is currently quarantined in her house with a case of the Mumps. I was jonesin' for a refreshing summer salad. Last week we composed a tasty black bean, avocado, tomato, corn, cilantro and lime salad. Tonight's salad trumps last weeks in the crisp and refreshing categories. It was served with two-day old pizza.


Kathleen's Salad
1/2 jicama- cut into matchsticks
1/2 mini watermelon- cubed
handful of chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno- finely diced
lime juice- to taste.

Throw all ingredients into a bowl. Make sure to wash hands thoroughly after dicing jalapeno. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.

No comments: