Monday, April 20, 2009

There's a little french pastry chef inside of me.


French (or Parisian) macaroons have been on my list of things to make for over a year now. I've read testimonials about how the cookie is really really (really) fussy, and that one should not expect success on first attempt. Being afraid of failure, I did what I do with other things I am afraid of failing at- avoid it. If I don't try, I don't fail. Great logic...

One week ago today I had a root canal. Because I am very anxious and apprehensive about such a procedure, the endodontist was kind enough to prescribe some very effective sedatives for me (it was that, or risk another anxiety-induced freak out). Nic was kind enough to skip class in order to drive me to an from the procedure. After I was all numb and had the roots of tooth #31 filled with putty, we went to Fred Meyer for some more drugs. I was still a bit high from the sedatives, but took the opportunity of being in a grocery store to do some shopping. I remember buying beets, eggs and maybe some fruit or yogart.

Two days after the seditives wore off, I thought back to Fred Meyer and asked Nic if I had, in fact, bought almond meal. He replied in the affirmative. My subconsious was telling me that it was time to make parisian macaroons.

And so I did. I used this recipe.

And exactly 2 out of 24 macaroon cookies turned out perfectly! It was a successful baking venture. Out of which I learned several things. Namely, after the batter is squeezed out of a pastry bag (or plastic bag with a hole in it), it should be allowed to sit for several minutes to help form a nice 'skin' on the macaroon, so that it doesn't crack and look like a desert in the middle of a 10-year draught.

But it doesn't matter that 1/2 of my cookies are drought cookies- because I made 2 perfect ones!

I also made a chocolate ganache for the filling. I'm going to take most of them to work tomorrow so that I don't end up eating them all.
Perfect!

No comments: