Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring market bag.

The arrival of spring (summer?) and the completion of this month's project coincided perfectly. Just as the trees are beginning their greening, I was thinking about how I need more colorful accents in my clothing and accessories. But instead of budding out leaves and blossoms and such, I have actually created the thing that fits the bill perfectly.

Behold, the Market Bag by Portabellopixie (Sandi Henderson Design).

I must apologize to Meghan. We do a pretty good job optimizing out time together- as 'hanging out' always seems to be in addition to something else. She brought over this pattern as well as fabric and used my sewing machine to finish half of her bag (there are two different bags within the pattern package). I asked if I could also use the pattern to make a Market Bag of my own- and the only restriction on that was that I couldn't finish my bag until she finished hers.

Well... I couldn't help myself- I guess you could say I got carried away. I think I may have already made the statement about small projects being fun and manageable without being boring, which might have something to do with the fun new techniques I got to try out:
Top stitching
Using interfacing to strengthen the fabric
Making my own piping using cord
Attaching a clasp for the inside of the bag
I've got a few more projects in mind, so stay tuned. If I'm not spending time at work, in the sunshine, or in the kitchen, I'll either be at my sewing machine or doing something else.

No comments: